Sunday, June 27

Day 21 and 22 ~ Friends and the driving to get to them

Today was fun. It started kinda rough, as today really started yesterday in flagstaff, AZ. After seeing the petrified forest and the white sand dunes of new mexico we drove a grand total of 24 hours to get to Austin, TX. I have not slept in 41 hours, not counting the hour nap I took today.

The highlight of the driving day for me was in the white sand dunes, where we saw a sunset, albeit obscured by cloud cover, and were completely surrounded by thunder and lightning storms. As we looked up we saw blue skies but all around us were strikes of lightning, almost black clouds and pillars of rain. Again our luck with the weather held and we were back in the car by the time the rains hit, and barely got rained on anyway. The drive was rough, I did an 8 hour shift to a little before white sands, then alex took another 8 hour shift to a rest stop somewhere and I took the last 6 into austin. I'm sure our adventures that preceded this contributed to the difficulty staying awake held but I would call it a stamina test no matter how you slice it.

Arriving here to smiles and warm greetings I took a shower and then my nap, waking up for the 1pm pregame show for the USA vs. Ghana World Cup game. Expecting a few people over turned into about 25 excited voices cheering and crying out in despair along with the thousands of fans actually in the stadium. Unfortunately we lost but it was a good game and much fun was had. A group of us went to dinner and then on a bit of a walk, the main event of which was a spur of the moment run across the soccer fields with our shirts off through the sprinklers that were going off. The full moon shone down on us as we jumped through the streams of water like any 5 year old would do at home, a spontaneous decision that was well rewarded. I rode back here in the bed of a truck as seats had become a mildly scarce commodity, and am now in the most relaxing bean bag chair I have ever experienced. I am considering just sleeping here, rather than on the ouch next to me. Decisions, decisions. I'll write more tomorrow but for tonight I just want to emphasize how welcome I feel here. These people are great and they are all pretty darn funny.

Sleep well world, we'll be home soon.

No comments: