Wednesday, June 9

Day 5

Wahoo! I love this. Only one thing mars this trip so far and I will speak on that later. We started today with a mildly short drive up to mount rushmore where, unfortunately they were spraying pesticides so the trails were closed. We got good pictures and got back on the road for our destination of Cody Wyoming.

Somewhere before we got back on 90W (yes north easters the mass pike is acually kinda the US pike; it comes all the way out here) Alex saw a sign for something called the devils tower. Now neither of us had heard of this thing so Alex looked it up on his handy dandy little cell phone and saw that it was Americas first national monument and that most people thought it was pretty darn cool. So we decided that instead of turning west to get to our campsite we would continue north for another hour or so to see this thing then resume our journey. Here again is shown that the principle of going where the path isn't, even if it's a path made by you, has many rewards. 876 feet high with a massive circle of boulders circling the pillar that seems to have no cause to be there. There was nothig else really around of comparison, no chain of mountains it was a part of, just a solitary formation that I could barely fathom. We hiked a circle around and took many pictures, my total for today was around 230, then headed back to the car for our leg to the campsite where I currently am located.

The next eventful thing was when we chose to drive route 16 west rather than continue on 90. At buffalo we forked left and headed into what we now know to be the bighorn range which is some of the most gorgeous scenery around. The badlands were awesome but this section was lush and alive with the same huge scale we are starting to get used to. Many pictures and several videos will follow.

We finally ended up at our campsite after pacing with another car from new york (what are the chances right?) and I took a wonderful shower and put today's shots onto my computer. It is at this point that my day became slightly less awesome when I discovered that in addition to my computer losing iTunes so I can't put pictures on my iPod and thus not put them on this lovely blog, it's wireless capabilities have been decimated to the point of uselessness. If I haven't mentioned it before my screen is broken and I would be surprised if it doesn't fully detatch by the end of the trip. Hopefully I win money in Vegas so I can get a new one otherwise I don't know how I'm going to get my pictures online.

Anyway today was good, tomorrow we move camp to yellowstone for two nights so I'm fairly excited about that, hope everyone is doing well back home and I'll be back online hopefully three nights from now.

Location:Cody Wyoming

No comments: